Lasagna, a favourite with my family. I’m a great advocate for fresh ingredients so I use fresh basil whenever possible as well I grate parmigiano reggiano instead of the pre-grated stuff sold off the shelf. My favourite thing to do is make the lasagna noodles from scratch as opposed to buying boxed pasta.
- 1 lb. (500 g) lean ground beef
- 2 1/2 cups Shredded Mozzarella, divided in two
- 2 cups ricotta cheese (can substitute cottage cheese)
- 1/2 cup Grated Parmesan, divided in two
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg
- 1 jar (700 ml) pasta sauce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 12 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- Preheat oven to 350F. Brown meat in large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, mix 1 1/4 cups of the mozzarella cheese, ricotta cheese, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese, the basil and egg until well blended; set aside.
- Drain meat; return to skillet. Stir in pasta sauce. Pour water into empty sauce jar; cover and shake well. Add to skillet; stir until well blended. Adding water to the sauce helps cook traditional noodles during baking, so you don’t have to cook them beforehand. This saves you 15 to 20 min. of prep time.
- Spread 1 cup of the meat sauce onto the bottom of 13×9-inch baking dish; top with a layer of 3 uncooked lasagna noodles. Noodles will expand to fit the dish during baking.
- Spread 1/3 of the ricotta cheese mixture and 1 cup of the meat sauce over noodles. Repeat layers two more times. Top with remaining 3 noodles and remaining meat sauce.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 1/4 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesean cheese. Cover tightly with greased foil. Bake 1 hour. Remove foil; continue baking 15 min. or until heated through. Let stand 15 min. before cutting to serve.
Makes 12 servings.