- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Small carton of strawberries hulled and cut in 1/8” slices
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Grand Marnier or Cointreau
- icing sugar for dusting
- Blend milk, eggs, flour, granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons butter, and salt in a blender or whisk, scraping down side once or twice, until batter is smooth, about 1 minute. Let batter stand at room temperature 1 hour (this prevents tough crêpes).
- Combine the strawberries and sugar in a small sauce pan. With heat on medium high, begin cook the strawberries, stirring occasionally. You will begin to notice it giving out water and also bubbling. Continue to stir until the mixture thickens slightly. Turn off heat and allow it to cool. Remove from heat and cool slightly before serving.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon butter to skillet and brush to coat bottom. Heat over moderate heat until hot, about 30 seconds, then pour 1/4 cup batter into skillet, tilting to coat bottom evenly. Cook until underside is pale golden, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, then jerk skillet to loosen crêpe and flip crêpe with a spatula. Cook until underside is pale golden, 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Transfer crêpe to a heatproof platter and keep warm in oven until all crêpes are done.
- Plate the crêpe turning over so that side cooked first is facedown. Spread a line of the strawberry compote down the centre of the crêpe and add a little vanilla ice cream. Roll up jelly-roll style. Dust generously with icing sugar.