A perfect risotto. This risotto skirts very close to my ideal of a great food pairing. So luxuriously creamy and with such flavour that even my kids who swore against any kind of risotto were reaching for seconds.
- 1 large shallot, chopped finely
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 10 ounces arborio rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- approx 1.1 litres/2 pints chicken broth
- 8 ounces plum tomatoes, skinned, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- sea salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan sauté the shallots with the olive oil for about 3 to 4 minutes and then add the mushrooms and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring frequently until softened.
- Stir in the rice and cook for another minute or two. Add the wine, stir and cook until absorbed. Pour in a quarter of the chicken broth, bring to a boil and cook until absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Gradually stir in the rest of the broth over a period of about 15 minutes, adding more as each previous amount is absorbed. This helps to give you a creamy risotto.
- When the rice is al dente, mix in the tomatoes and herbs. Check the seasoning and stir in the cheese. Serve with shaved aged Parmesan.