Red River Cereal Bread. Toasted, this is as good as a warm bowl of hot cereal on a cold winters morning. All one needs is a couple slices of this Red River Cereal Bread toasted with a small bowl of fruit and a glass of milk to make a healthy, high-in-fiber and nutritious breakfast.
- 1 cup red river cereal
- 1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1/4 teaspoon instant yeast
- 1 3/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoon melted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 2 – 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- Place the night before ingredients into a bowl and mix, cover with plastic wrap and leave over night (12 – 15 hours). Next morning prep all the ingredients, this will help to make the Red River Cereal bread easier to make. Pour out the night before mixture you created into a large bowl.
- Add in the lukewarm water, mix till the sponge is dissolved, add in all the whole wheat flour and mix.
- Add the melted butter and the honey, mix together till combined.
- Add in the salt and stir. Then add the instant yeast and continue to mix till blended.
- Add in about half the bread flour and mix with a wooded spoon. Place some more flour on a flat surface and pour out the dough mixture.
- Slowly continue to add more of the flour and knead for 8 -10 minutes. Keep this dough on the sticky side. You may want to use a dough scraper to help you knead the dough.
- After the dough has been kneaded it should become smooth and elastic but a little on the sticky side. Add a little oil to a large bowl.
- Place the dough into the bowl and turn to lightly coat all sides of the dough with oil. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- Pour out the dough onto a flat surface. Try not to work the dough to much, you don’t want to deflate the dough. Cut the dough in half.
- Cut each half into three pieces. You may want to weigh each piece so they will be equal in weight.
- Shape each piece into a ball. Try not to deflate the dough. Place into two greased 9×5 loaf pans, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 1 hour.
- After the dough has risen, take a sharp knife and score the top of each ball. Place into a preheated 375F oven for 30 – 40 minutes. If you are using a heat thermometer it should read 180 – 185F when inserted into the middle of the loaf. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.