A sweet tropical treat. This salad is a creation of mine bringing together many of my favourite flavours. The sweetness from the tropical fruits and the ginger simple syrup balanced with the more tangy endive. A further sweet addition to this salad is a sliver of pear placed at the bottom of the endive of which I didn’t have any left for the photo.
- 1 Endive
- 1/3 cup pineapple, diced
- 1/3 cup papaya, diced
- 1/3 cup cantaloupe, diced
- 1/3 cup Bartlett pear, diced
- 1/3 cup mango, diced
- 2 oz coconut rum
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 inch fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- zest of one lime
- juice of one lime
- Make the simple syrup ahead of time by boiling the water, add the sugar until it dissolves followed by adding the ginger, lime zest & juice. Reduce heat to a simmer and reduce by half until it reaches a syrupy consistency. Remove from heat and cool. This can stored for use in drinks or anything else that could use a sweet gingery pick up.
- Combine all the diced fruit together in a bowl, mixing in the coconut rum.
- Put the bowl in the fridge to marinate in the lovely coconut rum for a while.
- Slice a sliver of the Bartlett pear using a mandolin and place on the plate.
- Cut the base off the endive, clean the leaves and place the boat like leaf on top of the pear sliver.
- Spoon the tropical fruit mixture into the endive and drizzle the ginger-lime simple syrup over the fruit.