A belly warming winter soup. This soup is easy to throw together and easily falls into the comfort food category. I found this recipe on Foodland Ontario. I substituted wonderful sweet and salty roast ham as a garnish along with double smoked cheddar that I found to be an excellent compliment.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 8 cups cauliflower, chopped
- 1 cup parsnip, diced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1-½ cups 5% light cream or milk
- ½ cup double smoked cheddar cheese, shredded
- Cooked, lardons of roast ham
- In large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and carrot; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in cauliflower, parsnip, potato, broth, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf.
- In blender or food processor, purée soup in batches until smooth. Return to pot. Stir in cream. Heat over medium heat just until steaming. Ladle soup into bowls and top with cheese and ham.